When writing your CV, we recommend you add your educational history, even if you did not finish high school.
While the basics are obvious, there are some valuable tips to impress the H.R. manager who reads your CV.
Let’s start with the basics: this is the information you need to include:
- Your most recent degree (or education in progress)
- The name of your school
- Location of your school
- Dates attended and graduation date (or expected graduation date)
- Your field of study
- Any academic honours, relevant coursework or awards you received
- Appropriate extracurricular activities and study-abroad programs
Now let’s make it better with some tips:
- Tailor the education history to the job.
- Start with your highest degree first.
- Add all other degrees in reverse-chronological order.
- Only add your high school information if you finished college/diploma/certificate.
- You can spell your degree as “Bachelor of Arts” or use the initials “B.A.“
- You can either use periods to separate initials “M.A.” – or not “M.A.”
- You can write out the name of your major “MA in Psychology”, or separate your degree from your major with a comma “, MA, Psychology.”
- Use the same format for the entries in your education section; remain consistent.
You can order the information in various ways.
For example, a candidate who graduated from UNESWA may feel like her degree is separate from the job for which she’s applying. That can happen when you’re a social science major.
In that case, she may want to lead with the fact that she attended UNISWA, as having a degree is an added value, regardless if it fits the job or not:
University of Eswatini, Matsapha, BA
BA Social Sciences
Graduated in 2022 with a distinction
If you didn’t graduate high school, you should still mention the years you were there:
St. John Bosco High School, Malkenrs
Attended school from 2019 – 2021
Visit Likusasa Letfu Youth Centre for Employability for more information and support in job searching. Please find us on social media at Likusasa Letfu, or call 79585564/ 78033230 email@example.com.