Work experience is when a prospective employee gains practical wisdom with an employer by learning about a particular role, organisation or career path. This could include volunteering work, work placements, work shadowing and internships. The importance of such in enhancing your resume cannot be overemphasised as it demonstrates your work-related competency, motivation, passion and commitment to potential employers. The benefits of work experience to job seekers include giving insight into the work world, increase of occupational knowledge and understanding of the skills and attributes required as well as the improvement of communication skills. Also, it helps candidates garner professional networks that might be essential in future career advancements.
In addition to attaining practical wisdom, it has been proven that work experience helps individuals increase their self-understanding, maturity, independence and self-confidence. These are qualities that could make an applicant stand out amongst his peers. Consequently, it is pivotal to take the time to outline and re-evaluate your experience so it might appeal to companies and hence optimize your chances of employability.
A well-written work experience section is a crucial element on a resume because it shows that you have the necessary qualifications to be an asset to your potential employer. It should
- be written in a reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent position at the top of the page
- contain information about your professional history including previous titles, employers, dates of tenure, responsibilities, skills learned and accomplishments
- describe your responsibilities in concise statements. Focus on those skills and strengths that you possess and have identified as being significant to the field
- if possible, quantify your accomplishments and responsibilities
- Avoid summarizing or describing what a company or organization you worked with did or does.
In conclusion, a well-tailored work experience in a resume is the foundation that either qualifies you or disqualifies you for an interview and employability. It should be concise and entail all the relevant information that will make a candidate stand out amongst his peers.
Do you need help with your CV? Visit the Likusasa Letfu Youth Centre for Employability, and our interns will help you write your perfect resume. LLYCE is in Shp 14, Matsapha Business Centre, next to FNB, in the middle of Matsapha. Contact us: 79585564, email@example.com